Sound of Metal Movie Ignores the Typical Hearing Loss Experience

Whenever a mainstream movie or television show features hearing loss — I get excited. I hope it will raise awareness about the challenges of hearing loss without inducing pity. That it will break down stigmas and generate empathy. I search each moment for a slice of my own life that might help my family and Continue reading

Hearing Loss Self-Advocacy Needed During Covid-19

Do you sometimes feel like hearing loss is just one self-advocacy moment after the next? I certainly do. In my latest article for FindHearing.com, I discuss why self-advocacy is so important for people with hearing loss, especially during the time of Covid-19. My hope is that our advocacy efforts during this difficult time will create Continue reading

Hearing Loss Advocacy — Audiologist Style

How can audiologists show the hearing loss community that they are more than just providers of hearing aids — that they are genuinely here to help? My latest article for Ida Institute discusses practical ways audiologists can demonstrate they are part of our hearing loss team. Suggestions include engaging with the hearing loss community outside Continue reading

Are Hearing Loss & Deafness Sometimes Like Apples & Oranges?

Providing accessibility accommodations that work for both the Deaf and Hearing Loss communities can be a challenge. This is clear to anyone with a hearing loss who requested captioning but was provided with a sign language interpreter instead. For most people with hearing difficulties, including me, a sign language interpreter provides no assistance. But as Continue reading

How to Combat the Social Isolation of Hearing Loss

We are all facing the pain of isolation while practicing social distancing amid COVID-19. It hurts to feel alone in the face of new challenges and to combat loneliness at a time of uncertainty. While this crisis is difficult, it also gives us the opportunity to rethink old ways of doing things. I wrote this Continue reading

%%footer%%